Leyland P76 Owners 2006
Damien ACT Leylines # 32
- I contacted Dave Britton of Britton's Power Steering Services in Sydney.
- Dave knows the ins and outs of the P76 system as he used to work for TRW, the manufacturers, back in the 1970s.
- Alex and I decided that we would have two racks reconditioned on an exchange basis.
- In a 'lend-lease' kind of arrangement, Alex provided me with an exchange rack with the idea that he would get the used rack out of my car.
- After a certain amount of messing about trying to organise the best way to get the racks to Sydney, I decided that I'd take a one-day trip to the big smoke, pick up the reconditioned racks and drive home.
- It all went according to plan, except that I discovered that driving to Sydney and back in a day is not as easy as it was when I was 15 years younger.
- Dave is a pleasant guy and a mine of information about P76 power racks (and other makers' as well).
- He demonstrated the parts that cause problems, and showed me how he replaced the original 'O' rings on the P76 system with better-designed seals.
- The new seals require some machining and a special tool to dismantle part of the rack.
- He has a pressure tester to check the operation of the reconditioned racks and to make sure that they are not leaking.
- The rack has only just been installed today, but first impressions are very promising.
- Britton's Power Steering Services
- Rear 161 Picnic Point Rd
- Picnic Point 2213
- Phone/Fax........... (02) 9772 1030
Review the Leyland P76 Spare Parts guide (1991) (700kb)
Review the Leyland P76 Spare Parts guide Old (from Damien ACT) (2300kb)
Review the Leyland P76 Spare Parts guide Ver 6 (from Damien ACT) (193K)